Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Rolls, hot from the oven in only 1 hour....Yum!

2 c. warm water
1 T. yeast
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. oil or melted butter
4-5 1/4 cup flour

Mix water, yeast and sugar. Let proof for 5 minutes. Add salt, oil and half of the flour. (you can use half whole wheat and half white if you want wheat rolls). Mix until elastic. Then add half of the remaining flour. Mix well. Add more flour if the dough is sticky. Dough should be very soft, but not sticky. (Try not to add too much flour, it will make the rolls tough). In a mixer, the dough should pull away from the sides and make a ball. No rise necessary. Shape dough into rolls in a well greased baking dish or cookie sheet. Let rise for about 1 hour or until double. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until golder brown. makes about 16 large dinner rolls.

I got this recipe from a family cook book a cousin (Sara McRoberts) submitted it and she got it from a friend who owns a restaurant in TX. and they make this recipe everyday for their restaurant.

It is a really sweet roll, but we like them. Try it and let me know what you think.

5 comments:

Happy Gilmores said...

That's cool, are you going to make some stuff from the cooking show too? We will be down there in just about a week. We can't wait!

Katrine said...

Yeah! I've wanted this recipe since you told me about it, but I've been to afraid to ask for it. I'm definately goign to make these rolls. I think you should post more of your culinary delights. You could have your own cooking blog like http://thepioneerwomancooks.com/
It would be terrific!

Lacking Productivity said...

Yum!

splinger moosebutt said...

My kind neighbor dropped off some of these rolls at my house, and they were amazing! I highly recommend them (and my neighbor, too)!

Happy Gilmores said...

We are coming down tomorrow. Staying at the Hampton. See you soon!