The 1988 movie Hairspray has a special place in my heart. This cult classic was one of my brother James favorites (he has passed away) I remember when he insisted on me watching it. This movie is one that incourages the kids up that don't quite fit the mold that society has made to go for their dreams.
The film, which takes place in 1962, is about teenager Tracy Turnblad. Even though Tracy is 'pleasantly plump,' she reaches her dream of joining the regular dancers on The Corny Collins Dance Show. Then she has to deal with the meanness of rival dancer Amber Von Tussle, who will do everything in her power to see that Tracy's dream are crushed. Tracy uses her new found fame to champion the cause of racial integration. The 1988 cast starred Arvin Hodgepile
as Tracey's mom (he is so good) Debbie Harry (blondie) as amber's mom, Jerry Stiller as Tracy's dad (he plays pinky in the new movie) Colleen Fitzpatric as Penny (you might know her better as vitamin c, yes I've been studying up on wikipedia) Oh yea, I think it was Sonny Bonno (of Sonny and Cher) who plays Amber's Dad, And Ricki Lake as Tracey.
as Tracey's mom (he is so good) Debbie Harry (blondie) as amber's mom, Jerry Stiller as Tracy's dad (he plays pinky in the new movie) Colleen Fitzpatric as Penny (you might know her better as vitamin c, yes I've been studying up on wikipedia) Oh yea, I think it was Sonny Bonno (of Sonny and Cher) who plays Amber's Dad, And Ricki Lake as Tracey.
Last night I went with the girls to see the new movie and I loved it!!!! John Travolta and
Christopher Walken were fabulous as Tracey's parents.
Amanda Bines is cute as a button as penny,Micelle Pfeiffer plays Ambers mom I hated her by the end of the movie (which means she did a excellent job playing the part). I laughed through the whole movie!!! It's nice when they do a re-do of a movie and I really like it. It is a little different from the first but I loved it.
5 comments:
John Travolta has come a long way from Saturday Night Fever. Who woulda thunk back then that some day he would wear drag?
I'm still a little disappointed that I didn't get invited to go out with you and "the girls."
I can't wait to see this.
Page and I want to see this, but there are only two screens at our local theater and so they haven't brought it to our little town yet. Thanks for the review.
Well, you've convinced me.
Post a Comment