Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Please don't Kill Chivalry!

Chivalry: the combination of qualities expected of a Knight, including courage, generosity, and courtesy.

What's wrong with having the qualities of chivalry, things such as courage, courtesy and loyalty? Is there anything wrong with showing consideration and courtesy to women (or anyone else for that matter)? What's wrong with being gallant or generous especially to the less fortunate? (No I'm not saying women are less fortunate)

Not all people like it when another person opens a door for them. Some refuse to let others do anything for them. If you feel this way please don't ruin it for the rest of us! I love it when a someone does something nice for me... like opens a door or carries a package, it makes me feel like such a lady. Today it seems like chivalry is a rare commodity. Schools don't seem to teach it, religion is able to reach only a few. I'm not really sure how well we are teaching it our families (what brother wants to open a door for their bratty sister?). I can only speak for myself but I think if people would start down a path of courtesy and kindness to others they would find it brings both pleasure and a sense of peace to others and to themselves.

It's not losing your independence to let someone open a door for you. Or any other "chivalrous" act. It's letting someone do something nice for you, that's all! And there isn't anything wrong with that. We should all be nicer. I think the world would be a better place!

Long live chivalry!!!!

6 comments:

Lacking Productivity said...

Why did that guy cut the sleeve off of that girl's dress. Yikes. What sort of object does he think she is?

Anonymous said...

Euripides, 425 B.C.
“Neither earth nor ocean produces a creature as savage and monstrous as a woman.”
Napoleon Bonaparte
“Nature intended women to be our slaves…Women are nothing but machines for producing children.”
Thomas Edison, 1912
“Direct thought is not an attribute of femininity. In this, woman is now centuries behind man.”
Aristotle
“Woman are inferior versions of men.”
I think that chivalry died a long time ago.

Karie said...

To Kira: The guy standing up didn't do anything to the girl, he is protecting her! He is killing the guy who was attacking her (he's the guy laying on the ground getting stabbed)
To Pres. Ludwig: This is what others have said about women in the past. They also felt this same way about people(men or women) who weren't of their same race, religion or social group to just mention a few. So Mr.(who will never be president if you agree with the statements you have quoted)President. I hope you will be man enough to post how you feel about chivalry.

Katrine said...

Who voted for President Ludwig anyway?!
I am always so grateful for those that hold the door open for me. Especially when I'm pushing a stroller and I have 2 little boys walking behind me.
Truthfully, I have more men holding doors open for me in Texas than I ever do in Utah. You can come up with your own conclusions.
I tried to teach Cameron to hold the door open for people. I gave him the talk, and then it was his moment. We were coming to the door to enter the school. He was pumped and ready to be a man! But the poor little guy pushed so hard and couldn't get the heavy door open! Oh well, maybe next year.

Happy Gilmores said...

I have to agree with Katrine, when I lived in Lousiana and Texas, chivalry, manners, etc. were more common. In fact in Louisiana, the schools that my kids went to made them address adults/teachers as "sir and maam". First time I was in Lousiana, Page and I stopped some kids to ask directions. This was a group of 4 teenaged boys, about 16-17 years old. They all called me sir. I was shocked! Page and I got a big grin on our face the first time Sean answered us, "yes sir" and "yes maam". The kids seemed to have lost that charming response now that we are back out west, but in the south if a kid doesnt say sir or maam, the adult will stop and wait until they say it. Very important down there.

Bronwyn James said...

Hello, we have never met. I'm Jordan's sister, Bronwyn. Jordan sent me the link to your blog today and now I'm dying to get the lava cake recipe from you. I'm sure it will make my husband love me more. Any chance I could get that from you? I'm totally with you on the chivalry thing too. Well said!